There's nothing like a long(ish) car ride and a stay in a hotel to remind you of all the little reasons why your family rocks. This past weekend my family headed up north to a resort with my parents and brother. It was the perfect little weekend getaway (it's amazing how refreshing it is to have no access to your washing machine or netflix account). We played lawn games, enjoyed the water park, swam in the pool, and ate food we didn't have to cook ourselves. It was pretty awesome, but hey, my family IS awesome.
1. Dani sang "Yankee Doodle went to town riding on a pony, stuck a feather in his hat and called it HOGWARTS" totally out of the blue in the car.
2. My husband knows exactly how I like my margaritas: strong, with ice, and no salt.
3. We can play 20 questions for an hour in the car and even the not-quite-4 ear old doesn't get bored.
4. When Dani got rough with a flower in the resort garder Kaylee yelled "be careful or you'll hurt the pistil!"
5. I know my kids will fit in at my alma matter because they get OMG SO EXCITED when they get a frisbee with their kids meal
6. Something as simple as a rolling desk chair can keep the kids entertained for hours
7. In a hotel room putting on "boring grow-up shows" (in this case Pawns Stars) will quickly lul the children to sleep while the adults enjoy a glass of wine and a hushed conversation about afore mentioned boring grown up show.
8. Whether it's bocce, shuffle board, ladder ball, or the bean bag toss, my family enjoys some good natured competition.
9. For a second generation just saying "YNP" (standing for You No Parent) can stop sibling bossiness in its tracks.
10. Even after over 4 hours in the car and a night with all 4 of us in one room, we still want to spend even more time together.